This post is also available in: हिन्दी (Hindi)
The Central Board of Secondary Education (CBSE) has released the revised 8th class Maths syllabus for the upcoming academic session for the year 2023-24. The syllabus takes students a step forward in understanding the math concepts that help students in a strong understanding of math. The topics Linear equations, squares and square roots, cubes and cube roots, profit and loss, percentage, interest, and direct and inverse proportions are some of the concepts introduced in this grade.
CBSE math class 8 syllabus is as per the guidelines of NCERT.
Detailed Syllabus of Class 8 Maths CBSE
Chapter 1: Rational Numbers
In your earlier classes, you have studied natural numbers, whole numbers, and integers. In the first chapter of the math syllabus class 8 carries forward students to the next level of numbers – rational numbers and irrational numbers.
In this chapter, you will also learn about the different properties of rational numbers such as closure, commutative, associative, additive, and multiplicative identities.
- Properties of Rational Numbers
- Representation of Rational Numbers on the Number Line
- Rational Number between Two Rational Numbers
Chapter 2: Linear Equations in One Variable
Till now you have studied algebraic expressions and their operations – addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division. Equations are formed by combining two or more algebraic expressions.
This chapter introduces you to simple equations that are used to solve real-world problems.
- Solving Equations that have Linear Expressions on one Side and Numbers on the other Side
- Applications of Linear Equations that have Linear Expressions on one Side and Numbers on the other Side
- Solving Equations having the Variable on both sides
- Applications of Equations having the Variable on both sides
- Reducing Equations to Simpler Form
- Equations Reducible to the Linear Form
Chapter 3: Understanding Quadrilaterals
You were introduced to different types of 2D figures in your earlier classes. In this chapter of math syllabus class 8, you will learn about quadrilaterals – the four-sided figures
- Some of the Measures of the Exterior Angles of a Polygon
- Kinds of Quadrilaterals – Parallelogram, Trapezium, Kite
- Special Parallelograms – Square, Rectangle, Rhombus
Chapter 4: Data Handling
In your day-to-day life, you come across different sorts of information such as runs made by batsmen, wickets taken by bowlers, marks scored by students in math tests by students, etc. The information collected in all such cases is called data. In this chapter of math class 8 syllabus you will learn
- Looking for Information
- Organizing Data
- Grouping Data
- Circle Graph or Pie Chart
- Chance and Probability
Chapter 5: Squares and Square Roots
You have studied squares – the special type of quadrilateral and how to find their area. The numbers that represent the area of squares are known as squares of numbers and the numbers themselves are called the square roots. This chapter of the math curriculum in 8th grade explains different properties and patterns exhibited by square and square roots of numbers.
- Properties of Square Numbers
- Some More Interesting Patterns
- Finding the Square of a Number
- Square Roots
- Square Roots of Decimals
- Estimating Square Root
Chapter 6: Cubes and Cube Roots
There is a story about one of India’s great mathematical geniuses, S. Ramanujan. Once another famous mathematician Prof. G.H. Hardy came to visit him in a taxi whose number was 1729. While talking to Ramanujan, Hardy described this number as “a dull number”. Ramanujan quickly pointed out that 1729 was indeed interesting. The interesting part about the number Ramanujan was talking about was it can be represented as a sum of a cube of numbers in many ways.
In this chapter, you will learn different properties and patterns followed by cubes and cube roots of numbers.
Chapter 7: Comparing Quantities
In our daily life, we compare quantities. There are various ways of comparing quantities. In this chapter, you learn more ways of comparing quantities and also some other topics related to money and buying and selling.
- Finding the Increase and Decrease Percent
- Finding Discounts
- Prices Related to Buying and Selling (Profit and Loss)
- Sales Tax/Value Added Tax/Goods and Services Tax
- Compound Interest
- Deducing a Formula for Compound Interest
- Rate Compounded Annually or Half Yearly (Semi-Annually)
- Applications of Compound Interest Formula
Chapter 8: Algebraic Expressions
In earlier classes, you have already become familiar with what algebraic expressions are. This chapter takes your understanding further of algebraic expressions, their properties, and their operations.
- What are Expressions?
- Terms, Factors and Coefficients
- Monomials, Binomials and Polynomials
- Like and Unlike Terms
- Addition of Algebraic Expressions
- Subtraction of Algebraic Expressions
- Multiplication of Algebraic Expressions
- Multiplying a Monomial by a Monomial
- Multiplying a Monomial by a Polynomial
- Multiplying a Polynomial by a Polynomial
- What is an Identity?
- Standard Identities
- Applying Identities
Chapter 9: Mensuration
Measurement is one of the basic skills required by humans. You have learned that for a closed plane figure, the perimeter is the distance around its boundary and its area is the region covered by it. In this chapter, you will solve problems related to the perimeter and area of other plane closed figures and also learn about the surface area and volume of solids such as cubes, cuboids, and, cylinders.
- Area of Trapezium
- Area of General Quadrilateral
- Area of Polygons
- Solid Shapes
- Surface Area of Cube
- Surface Area of Cuboid
- Surface Area of Cylinder
- Volume of Cube
- Volume of Cuboid
- Volume of Cylinder
- Volume and Capacity
- Volume of Cylinder
Chapter 10: Exponents and Powers
You know representing large quantities such as the mass of Earth or Sun using exponents and powers. In this chapter of the syllabus of class 8 maths CBSE you will learn how to express very small quantities such as the size or weight of an atom. In such cases, we use numbers with negative powers.
- Powers with Negative Exponents
- Laws of Exponents
- Use of Exponents to Express Small Numbers in Standard Form
Chapter 11: Direct and Inverse Proportions
On your birthday you bring a cake for your friends. But if there are more or fewer friends, how much more or less quantity will you need? There are many such situations where a change in one quantity leads to a change in the other quantity. This chapter introduces you to the concept of direct and inverse proportions.
- Direct Proportion
- Inverse Proportion
Chapter 12: Factorization
In earlier classes, you have learned about the factors of a number and you also know what algebraic expressions are. This chapter introduces you to the factors of algebraic expressions. The process of finding the factors of algebraic expressions is called factorization.
Chapter 13: Graphs
You have seen graphs in the newspapers, television, magazines, books, etc. The purpose of the graph is to show numerical facts in visual form so that they can be understood quickly, easily, and clearly. In this chapter, you will learn to interpret and draw different types of graphical representations of data.
- Linear Graphs
- Applications of Linear Graph
Best Maths Reference Books For Class 8 CBSE
If you are looking for the best Maths reference books for Class 8 CBSE, then this list is for you. Here we have listed some of the best Maths books that will help you score high marks in your exams. These books cover the entire maths syllabus of Class 8 and are a great resource for students who want to excel in this subject. In this list, we will recommend three of the best reference books for math syllabus class 8 students who are following the CBSE curriculum.
Looking for high-quality Class 8th Maths sample papers? Our comprehensive PDF book is designed by experienced teachers at CodingHero and includes detailed summaries of every chapter, key tips and tricks to solve problems, and Higher Order Thinking Skills. The book is suitable for all students of Class 8, and includes separate solutions and answer keys. Plus, it’s regularly updated to reflect the latest syllabus changes and exam patterns. Get your copy today and ace your exams with ease!
- One of the best books is “Mathematics for Class 8 – CBSE – by R.S. Aggarwal Examination 2023-2024. This 8th grade book covers all the topics in detail and provides examples to help students understand the concepts better. Check Price
- Mathematics For Class 8 by R D Sharma is also a good reference book and covers all the topics in detail. It also provides solved examples and is considered to be one of the best books for learning math. Check Price
- “TOGETHER WITH NEW MATHEMATICS CLASS 8” by Rachna Sagar of Together With Series. It is a good book that has many questions it also includes NCERT exemplar questions which help the student to learn directly from the book. Check Price
For some more good reference maths books for Class 8 check here.
Prescribed Books For Class 8 By CBSE
CBSE Maths Syllabus For Class 8 Pdf
The Central Board of Secondary Education (CBSE) is a national-level board of education in India for public and private schools, controlled and managed by the Union Government of India.
Class 8 is an important class for students as it is the foundation for their future studies. In order to help students perform well in their exams, the CBSE has released the math syllabus for class 8. The syllabus covers all the important topics that will be taught in Class 8.
Based on the CBSE class 8 Maths syllabus, we have created this detailed and beautiful PDF which you can download and refer to anytime. This PDF not only covers the full list of chapters and topics within each chapter, but it also has a list of resources that parents, teachers, and students will find very helpful. So, go ahead and download this CBSE math syllabus class 8 PDF.
The CBSE math class 8 syllabus has been designed to provide a strong foundation in the subject and prepare students for higher-level courses.
The syllabus covers a wide range of topics, from basic algebra and geometry to more advanced concepts such as calculus and trigonometry.
Overall, the syllabus of class 8 maths CBSE provides a well-rounded education in mathematics that will give students the skills they need to succeed in higher-level courses.