This post is also available in: हिन्दी (Hindi)
The Central Board of Secondary Education (CBSE) has released the revised 8th class Maths syllabus for the upcoming academic session for the year 2022-23. The syllabus takes students a step forward in understanding the math concepts that help students in a strong understanding of math. The topics Linear equations, squares and square roots, cubes and cube roots, profit and loss, percentage, interest, and direct and inverse proportions are some of the concepts introduced in this grade.
CBSE math class 8 syllabus is as per the guidelines of NCERT.
Detailed Syllabus of Class 8 Maths CBSE
Chapter 1: Rational Numbers
In your earlier classes, you have studied natural numbers, whole numbers, and integers. The first chapter of math syllabus class 8 carries forward students to the next level of numbers – rational numbers and irrational numbers.
In this chapter, you will also learn about the different properties of rational numbers such as closure, commutative, associative, additive, and multiplicative identities.
- What Are Rational Numbers?
- Closure Property
- Commutative Property
- Associative Property
- Role of Zero (0)
- Role of One (1)
- Negative of a Number
- The Reciprocal
- Distributive Property
- Representation of Rational Numbers on a Number Line
- Rational Numbers Between Two Rational Numbers
Chapter 2: Linear Equations in One Variable
Till now you have studied algebraic expressions and their operations – addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division. Equations are formed by combining two or more algebraic expressions.
This chapter introduces you to simple equations that are used to solve real-world problems.
- Solving Equations that have Linear Expressions on one Side and Numbers on the other Side
- Solving Equations Having the Variable on Both Sides
- Reducing Equations to Simpler Form
- Equations Reducible to the Linear Form
- Applications of Equations
Chapter 3: Understanding Quadrilaterals
You were introduced to different types of 2D figures in your earlier classes. In this chapter of math syllabus class 8, you will learn about quadrilaterals – the four-sided figures
- Types of Polygons – Concave & Convex, Regular & Irregular
- Diagonals of a Polygon
- Angle Sum Property of Polygons
- Exterior Angles of a Polygon
- Types of Quadrilaterals & Properties – Trapezium
- Types of Quadrilaterals & Properties – Kite
- Types of Quadrilaterals & Properties – Parallelogram
- Types of Quadrilaterals & Properties – Rhombus
- Types of Quadrilaterals & Properties – Rectangle
- Types of Quadrilaterals & Properties – Square
Chapter 4: Practical Geometry
Geometry is the branch of mathematics concerned with the shape of individual objects, spatial relationships among various objects, and the properties of surrounding space. In geometry, you learned about different types of quadrilaterals like – square, rectangle, kite, rhombus, and trapezium. In this chapter, you will learn to construct these figures precisely.
Chapter 5: Data Handling
In your day-to-day life, you come across different sorts of information such as runs made by batsmen, wickets taken by bowlers, marks scored by students in math tests by students, etc. The information collected in all such cases is called data. In this chapter of math class 8 syllabus you will learn
- Pictograph – Interpretation & Drawing
- Bar Graph – Interpretation & Drawing
- Double Bar Graph – Interpretation & Drawing
- Organizing Data – Tally Marks
- Grouping Data – Class Interval
- Pie Chart – Interpretation & Drawing
Chapter 6: Squares and Square Roots
You have studied squares – the special type of quadrilateral and how to find their area. The numbers that represent the area of squares are known as squares of numbers and the numbers themselves are called the square roots. This chapter of the math curriculum in 8th grade explains different properties and patterns exhibited by square and square roots of numbers.
- Properties of Square Numbers
- Finding Square of a Number
- Finding Square Roots – Repeated Subtraction Method
- Finding Square Roots – Prime Factorization Method
- Finding Square Roots – Division Method
Chapter 7: Cubes and Cube Roots
There is a story about one of India’s great mathematical geniuses, S. Ramanujan. Once another famous mathematician Prof. G.H. Hardy came to visit him in a taxi whose number was 1729. While talking to Ramanujan, Hardy described this number as “a dull number”. Ramanujan quickly pointed out that 1729 was indeed interesting. The interesting part about the number Ramanujan was talking about was it can be represented as a sum of a cube of numbers in many ways.
In this chapter, you will learn different properties and patterns followed by cubes and cube roots of numbers.
- Properties of Cube of Numbers
- Finding Cube of a Number
- Finding Cube Root of Number – Factorization Method
Chapter 8: Comparing Quantities
In our daily life, we compare quantities. There are various ways of comparing quantities. In this chapter, you learn more ways of comparing quantities and also some other topics related to money and buying and selling.
- Increase & Decrease Percent
- Finding Discounts
- Profit & Loss
- Sales Tax
- Value Added Tax
- Compound Interest
- Applications of Compound Interest Formula – Growth & Appreciation
- Applications of Compound Interest Formula – Decay & Depreciation
Chapter 9: Algebraic Expressions
In earlier classes, you have already become familiar with what algebraic expressions are. This chapter takes your understanding further of algebraic expressions, their properties, and their operations.
- What is an Algebraic Expression – Terms, Factors & Coefficients
- Types of Algebraic Expressions – Monomials, Binomials & Trinomials
- Addition of Algebraic Expressions
- Subtraction of Algebraic Expressions
- Multiplication of Algebraic Expressions
- Algebraic Identities
- Application of Algebraic Identities
Chapter 10: Visualizing Solid Shapes
You have learned about plane shapes and solid shapes. Plane shapes have two measurements like length and breadth whereas a solid object has three measurements like length, breadth, height, or depth. This chapter of math curriculum grade 8 explains the different attributes of solid shapes and the way these can be drawn in your notebook.
- 3D Shapes
- Views of 3D Shapes – Nets of 3D Shapes
- Mapping Space Around Us
- Faces, Edges & Vertices of 3D Shapes
Chapter 11: Mensuration
Measurement is one of the basic skills required by humans. You have learned that for a closed plane figure, the perimeter is the distance around its boundary and its area is the region covered by it. In this chapter, you will solve problems related to the perimeter and area of other plane closed figures and also learn about the surface area and volume of solids such as cubes, cuboids, and, cylinders.
- Perimeter of Rectangle
- Perimeter of Square
- Perimeter of Triangle
- Perimeter of Parallelogram
- Perimeter of Circle
- Area of Rectangle
- Area of Square
- Area of Triangle
- Area of Parallelogram
- Area of Circle
- Perimeter of Combination of Figure
- Area of Combination of Figure
- Area of Trapezium
- Area of Quadrilateralal
- Area of Square
- Area of Rhombus
- Area of Polygon
- Surface Area of Cube
- Surface Area of Cuboid
- Surface Area of Cylinder
- Volume of Cube
- Volume of Cuboid
- Volume of Cylinder
Chapter 12: Exponents and Powers
You know representing large quantities such as the mass of Earth or Sun using exponents and powers. In this chapter of the syllabus of class 8 maths CBSE you will learn how to express very small quantities such as the size or weight of an atom. In such cases, we use numbers with negative powers.
- Powers With Negative Exponents
- Laws of Exponents (With Numbers)
- Use of Exponents to Represent Small Numbers
- Use of Exponents to Represent Large Numbers
Chapter 13: Direct and Inverse Proportions
On your birthday you bring a cake for your friends. But if there are more or fewer friends, how much more or less quantity will you need? There are many such situations where a change in one quantity leads to a change in the other quantity. This chapter introduces you to the concept of direct and inverse proportions.
- Direct Proportion
- Inverse Proportion
Chapter 14: Factorization
In earlier classes, you have learned about the factors of a number and you also know what algebraic expressions are. This chapter introduces you to the factors of algebraic expressions. The process of finding the factors of algebraic expressions is called factorization.
- Factors of Algebraic Expressions
- Factorization of Algebraic Expressions
- Division of Algebraic Expressions Using Factorization
Chapter 15: Graphs
You have seen graphs in the newspapers, television, magazines, books, etc. The purpose of the graph is to show numerical facts in visual form so that they can be understood quickly, easily, and clearly. In this chapter, you will learn to interpret and draw different types of graphical representations of data.
- Bar Graph – Interpretation & Drawing
- Pie Graph – Interpretation & Drawing
- Histogram – Interpretation & Drawing
- Line Graph – Interpretation & Drawing
- Linear Graph – Plotting
Chapter 15: Playing With Numbers
Probability in math means the numerical measurement of uncertainty. This chapter introduces you to the experimental or empirical approach to finding the probability of an event.
- Numbers in General Form
- Letters for Digits
- Tests of Divisibility
Best Maths Reference Books For Class 8 CBSE
If you are looking for the best Maths reference books for Class 8 CBSE, then this list is for you. Here we have listed some of the best Maths books that will help you score high marks in your exams. These books cover the entire maths syllabus of Class 8 and are a great resource for students who want to excel in this subject. In this list, we will recommend three of the best reference books for math syllabus class 8 students who are following the CBSE curriculum.
- One of the best books is “Mathematics for Class 8 – CBSE – by R.S. Aggarwal Examination 2022-2023. This 8th grade book covers all the topics in detail and also provides solved examples to help students understand the concepts better.
- “All In One NCERT Based Mathematics Class 8 for 2023 Exam” is also a good reference book and covers all the topics in detail. It also provides solved examples and is considered to be one of the best books for learning math.
- “TOGETHER WITH NEW MATHEMATICS CLASS 8” by Rachna Sagar of Together With Series. It is a good book that has many questions it also includes NCERT exemplar questions which help the student to learn directly from the book.
Prescribed Books For Class 8 By CBSE
CBSE Maths Syllabus For Class 8 Pdf
The Central Board of Secondary Education (CBSE) is a national-level board of education in India for public and private schools, controlled and managed by the Union Government of India.
Class 8 is an important class for students as it is the foundation for their future studies. In order to help students perform well in their exams, the CBSE has released the math syllabus for class 8. The syllabus covers all the important topics that will be taught in Class 8.
Based on the CBSE class 8 Maths syllabus, we have created this detailed and beautiful PDF which you can download and refer to anytime. This PDF not only covers the full list of chapters and topics within each chapter, but it also has a list of resources that parents, teachers, and students will find very helpful. So, go ahead and download this CBSE math syllabus class 8 PDF.
The CBSE math class 8 syllabus has been designed to provide a strong foundation in the subject and prepare students for higher-level courses.
The syllabus covers a wide range of topics, from basic algebra and geometry to more advanced concepts such as calculus and trigonometry.
Overall, the syllabus of class 8 maths CBSE provides a well-rounded education in mathematics that will give students the skills they need to succeed in higher-level courses.