This post is also available in: हिन्दी (Hindi)
The Central Board of Secondary Education (CBSE) has released the revised 6th class Maths syllabus for the upcoming academic session for the year 2022-23. The syllabus aims to provide students with a strong foundation in basic mathematical concepts and skills. The CBSE 6th class Maths syllabus includes topics on arithmetic and geometry and introduces two new concepts – algebra and data handling.
The Class 6 syllabus is also important from a competitive examination point of view. It is designed in such a way that it forms the foundation for the all-important board exams and competitive exams in the upcoming years. The topics like Ratio and Proportions, Mensuration, and Algebra build a strong foundation for the next coming years.
CBSE Maths Syllabus For Class 6 follows the Class 6 Maths syllabus of NCERT.
Detailed Syllabus of Class 6 Maths CBSE
Chapter 1: Knowing Our Numbers
You have already studied different types of numbers in earlier classes. The first chapter of the CBSE class 6 maths syllabus extends further your knowledge of numbers. In this chapter, you will learn to compare and arrange numbers. You will also be introduced to 5-digit, 6-digit, and large numbers and operations like addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division with large numbers. The chapter also covers one more type of number generally known as Roman Numerals.
- Comparing Numbers
- Making Numbers From Digits
- Arranging Numbers
- 5-Digit Numbers
- Place Value of 5-Digit Numbers
- 6-Digit Numbers
- Place Value of 6-Digit Numbers
- Larger Numbers
- Reading and Writing Larger Numbers
- Use of Commas in Numbers – Indian System of Numeration
- Use of Commas in Numbers – International System of Numeration
- Addition of Large Numbers
- Subtraction of Large Numbers
- Multiplication of Large Numbers
- Division of Large Numbers
- Estimation of Numbers – Rounding Off
- Estimation of Results – Rounding Off
- Using Brackets
- Roman Numerals
Chapter 2: Whole Numbers
In the earlier classes, you studied counting numbers or natural numbers. If a number 0 is included in a set of natural numbers, the new set of numbers is called Whole Numbers. This chapter introduces you to the set of whole numbers, their properties, and the operations like addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division with whole numbers. In this chapter, you will also learn about the predecessor and successor of whole numbers and the pattern formed by whole numbers.
- Predecessor and Successor
- Whole Numbers
- Number Line
- Addition on Number Line
- Subtraction on Number Line
- Multiplication on Number Line
- Properties of Whole Numbers – Closure Property
- Properties of Whole Numbers – Commutative Property
- Properties of Whole Numbers – Associative Property
- Properties of Whole Numbers – Distributive Property
- Properties of Whole Numbers – Additive Identity
- Properties of Whole Numbers – Multiplicative Identity
- Patterns in Whole Numbers
Chapter 3: Playing With Numbers
Every number has two important numbers associated with them. These numbers are called factors and multiples. In this chapter of the CBSE class 6 maths syllabus, you will learn about factors and multiples of numbers and different ways to find HCF and LCM. In this chapter, you will also learn to test for the divisibility of different numbers.
- Factors of a Number
- Multiples of a Number
- Prime and Composite Numbers
- Test For Divisibility of Numbers
- Common Factors
- Common Multiples
- Prime Factorization
- Finding HCF – Common Factor Method
- Finding HCF – Prime Factor Method
- Finding HCF – Division Method
- Finding LCM – Prime Factors Method
- Finding LCM – Common Division Method
- Problems on HCF and LCM
Chapter 4: Basic Geometrical Ideas
This chapter on geometry is about basic geometrical figures. In this chapter, you will learn to distinguish between points, lines, segments, rays, and curves. You will also learn more about polygons, angles, triangles, quadrilaterals, and circles.
- Basic Geometrical Shapes – Point, Line, Line Segment, Ray, Curve
- Intersecting Lines
Chapter 5: Understanding Elementary Shapes
In this chapter of the CBSE class 6 maths syllabus, you will learn about the basic shapes and be able to classify between 2D and 3D shapes. The chapter also explains the ways of measuring line segments and angles and the classification of angles and triangles. You will also learn about three basic terms associated with 3D shapes – faces, edges, and vertices (singular vertex).
- Measuring Line Segments
- Angles – Right and Straight
- Angles – Acute, Obtuse, and Reflex
- Measuring Angles
- Perpendicular Lines
- Classification of Triangles Based on Angles
- Classification of Triangles Based on Sides
- Three Dimensional Shapes
- Faces, Edges, and Vertices of 3D Shapes
Chapter 6: Integers
You have studied natural numbers and whole numbers. These numbers are called positive numbers. When these numbers are preceded by a minus sign( -) they are called negative numbers. This chapter of the CBSE class 6 maths syllabus introduces you to these new types of numbers. The set of numbers consisting of both positive and negative numbers is called an integer. You will also learn the ordering of integers and how to add and subtract integers.
- Representation of Integers on a Number Line
- Ordering of Integers
- Addition of Integers
- Addition of Integers on Number Line
- Subtraction of Integers
- Subtraction of Integers on Number Line
Chapter 7: Fractions
Fractions are used to represent part of a whole. A fraction is written by writing two numbers one above the other separated by a horizontal bar. The number written above is called the numerator and the one below the horizontal bar is called the denominator. In this chapter, you will learn to represent fractions on a number line and the two basic operations that are performed on fractions – addition and subtraction. In this chapter, you will also understand the difference between proper and improper fractions, and like and unlike fractions.
- Fraction on the Number Line
- Proper Fractions
- Improper Fractions
- Mixed Fractions
- Equivalent Fractions
- Simplest Form of a Fraction
- Like and Unlike Fractions
- Comparing Fractions
- Addition of Fractions
- Subtraction of Fractions
Chapter 8: Decimals
In this chapter of the CBSE class 6 maths syllabus, you will learn about decimals and their representation on a number line. You will also understand how to convert a decimal number to a fraction and a fraction to a decimal number. The chapter also introduces you to two basic operations – addition and subtraction of decimals and the use of decimal numbers in money, length, and weight.
- Representing Decimals on a Number Line
- Fractions as Decimals
- Decimals as Fractions
- Expansion of Decimal Numbers
- Comparing Decimals
- Using Decimals – Money
- Using Decimals – Length
- Using Decimals – Weight
- Addition of Decimals
- Subtraction of Decimals
Chapter 9: Data Handling
You must have observed your teacher recording the attendance of students in your class every day, or recording marks obtained by you after every test or examination. Similarly, you must have also seen a cricket scoreboard. These collections or tables provide data that are used to generate specific information. In this chapter, you will learn about two basic methods of data handling – pictograph and bar graph.
- Recording Data
- Organization of Data
- Pictograph – Interpretation
- Pictograph – Drawing
- Bar Graph – Interpretation
- Bar Graph – Drawing
Chapter 10: Mensuration
Mensuration is the branch of mathematics that studies the measurement of geometric figures and their parameters like length, area, and volume. In this chapter of the CBSE class 6 maths syllabus, you will learn to find the perimeter and area of regular figures, rectangles, and squares.
- Perimeter of Plane Figures
- Perimeter of Rectangle
- Perimeter of Regular Shapes
- Perimeter of Square
- Finding Area Using Grid
- Area of Rectangle
- Area of Square
Chapter 11: Algebra
Algebra is a branch of mathematics that uses symbols(or letters) to represent numbers or values. These symbols(or letters) are known as variables. In this chapter, you will learn about patterns and how variables are used to represent patterns. You will also learn about equations, how these equations are formed and how to solve these equations.
- Matchstick Patterns
- Use of Variables in Common Rules
- Expressions With Variables
- Practical Use of Expressions
- Solution of an Equation
Chapter 12: Ratio and Proportion
In our daily life, there are many occasions when we compare two quantities like heights, weights, etc., or the number of marbles ratio in which you divided marbles among your friends. This CBSE 7th class Maths syllabus introduces you to a way of comparing quantities.
Chapter 13: Symmetry
Symmetry is an important geometrical concept, commonly exhibited in nature and is used almost in every field of activity. Artists, professionals, designers of clothing or jewelry, car manufacturers, architects, and many others make use of the idea of symmetry. In the chapter of the CBSE class 6 maths syllabus, you will be introduced to symmetry.
- Symmetrical Objects
- Lines of Symmetry
Chapter 14: Practical Geometry
In your earlier classes, you learned about line segments, their bisectors, and some basic angles. This chapter introduces you to constructing line segments and angles using the knowledge of constructing lines and angles.
- Geometrical Instruments
- Construction of Circle
- Construction of Line Segment
- Construction of Perpendicular
- Construction of Bisector
- Construction of Angles
Best Maths Reference Books For Class 6 CBSE
If you are looking for the best Maths reference books for the CBSE class 6 maths syllabus, then this list is for you. Here we have listed some of the best Maths books that will help you score high marks in your exams. These books cover the entire maths syllabus of Class 6 and are a great resource for students who want to excel in this subject. In this list, we will recommend three of the best math reference books for 6th grade students who are following the CBSE curriculum.
- The first book on our list is “Mathematics for Class 6 – CBSE Examination 2022-2023” by R.S. Aggarwal. This book is a very important book for self-study and building a base and learning the concepts of the chapters, providing a lot of problems for practice.
- Another great math reference book for 6th grade students is “CBSE All In One NCERT Based Mathematics Class 6 2022-23 Edition” by Rameshwar Pandey of Arihant Publications. This book is one of the best books for preparation of competitive exams also.
- The third book on our list “Xam idea Class 6 Mathematics Book For CBSE Exam (2022-2023)” by VK Global Publications Pvt Ltd. It gives detailed and easy-to-understand explanations for the concepts on topics.
Books Prescribed For Class 6 By CBSE
CBSE Maths Syllabus For Class 6 Pdf
The Central Board of Secondary Education (CBSE) is a national-level board of education in India for public and private schools, controlled and managed by the Union Government of India.
In order to help students perform well in their exams, the CBSE has released the Maths Syllabus for Class 6. The syllabus covers all the important topics that will be taught in Class 6.
Based on the CBSE class 6 maths syllabus, we have created this detailed and beautiful PDF which you can download and refer to anytime. This PDF not only covers the full list of chapters and topics within each chapter, but it also has a list of resources that parents, teachers, and students will find very helpful. So, go ahead and download this CBSE Maths Syllabus For Class 6 PDF.
The CBSE 6th Class Maths Syllabus has been designed to provide a strong foundation in the subject and prepare students for higher-level courses.
The syllabus covers a wide range of topics, from basic arithmetic and geometry to more advanced concepts such as algebra and data handling.
Overall, the CBSE 6th Class Maths Syllabus provides a well-rounded education in mathematics that will give students the skills they need to succeed in higher-level courses.