This post is also available in: हिन्दी (Hindi)
The Central Board of Secondary Education (CBSE) has released the revised 5th class Maths syllabus for the upcoming academic session for the year 2023-24. The syllabus aims to provide students with a strong foundation in basic mathematical concepts and skills. The CBSE class 5 maths syllabus includes topics on numbers, fractions, and decimals and introduces two new concepts – symmetry and 3D shapes.
The Class 5 syllabus is designed in such a way that it forms the foundation for the higher classes.
CBSE Maths Syllabus For Class 5 follows the Class 5 Maths syllabus of NCERT.
Detailed Syllabus of Class 5 Maths CBSE
Chapter 1: Numbers and Numeration
In this first chapter of the CBSE class 5 maths syllabus, you will be introduced to large numbers, and how these numbers are read and written. This chapter also introduces the use of commas(periods) that helps in reading large numbers. You will also learn how to read and write numbers using the Indian System of Numeration and the International System of Numeration.
- Large Numbers
- Reading Large Numbers – Indian System of Numeration
- Expanding Large Numbers – Indian System of Numeration
- Reading Large Numbers – International System of Numeration
- Expanding Large Numbers – International System of Numeration
- Comparing Large Numbers
Chapter 2: Shapes and Angles
In earlier classes, you learned about angles. In this chapter, you will be introduced to different types of angles and how to measure and draw these angles using a geometrical instrument called a protractor. You will also learn to name angles made by clock hands.
Chapter 3: Measurement
In our daily lives, we use different types of measurement to measure different types of items, such as the weight of your friend, the length of your class desk, amount of water in your water bottle. You will learn about the various units of measurement. This chapter of the CBSE class 5 maths syllabus, also introduces you to the units of measuring temperature.
- Units of Length
- Units of Weight
- Units of Capacity
- Operations on Measurement – Addition
- Operations on Measurement – Subtraction
- Operations on Measurement – Multiplication
- Operations on Measurement – Division
- Measuring Temperature
Chapter 4: Fractions
You already know about fractions. In this chapter, you will know more about fractions – types of fractions, what are equivalent fractions, and how you can compare fractions. You will also learn how to add, subtract, multiply and divide fractions and how to use these operations in solving problems.
- What are Fractions
- Types of Fractions
- Equivalent Fractions
- Comparing Fractions
- Addition of Fractions
- Problems on Addition of Fractions
- Subtraction of Fractions
- Problems on Subtraction of Fractions
- Multiplication of Fractions
- Problems on Multiplication of Fractions
- Division of Fractions
- Problems on Division of Fractions
- Simplification of Fractions – Multiple Operations
Chapter 5: Symmetry
Many of the objects we see around us are symmetrical, such as your pencil box, the face of human beings, mobile phones, etc. In this chapter of the CBSE class 5 maths syllabus, you will understand symmetry and two different types of symmetry – line symmetry and rotational symmetry.
- Symmetric and Asymmetric Figures
Chapter 6: Factors and Multiples
In your earlier classes, you learned about multiplication and division of numbers. In this chapter, you will learn two important terms associated with multiplication and division – factors and multiples. You will also learn what are HCF and LCM and how to find and use HCF and LCM in solving problems.
- Prime and Composite Numbers
- Divisibility Tests
- HCF – By Observation
- HCF – By Prime Factorization
- HCF – By Division
- LCM – By Observation
- LCM – By Prime Factorization
- LCM – By Division
- Applications of LCM and HCF
Chapter 7: Patterns
You see many patterns in your surroundings such as rangoli, petals of flowers, branches of trees, arrangement of leaves in plants, etc. This chapter of the CBSE class 5 maths syllabus, introduces you to patterns in numbers and shapes.
Chapter 8: Mapping
You want to explain the location of your house and the route you follow while coming back from school to your friend. How will you do that? You will draw a rough route map. In this chapter, you will learn how to map your surrounding and the concept of scale. You will also learn how to make larger and smaller pictures from given pictures using a grid of horizontal and vertical lines.
- Map and Scale
- Enlarging Figures
- Diminishing Figures
Chapter 9: 3D Shapes
You already know about 2D shapes. In this chapter, you will learn about three-dimensional shapes commonly known as 3D shapes. You will also learn how to create 3D objects using 2D figures such as squares, rectangles, triangles, or squares using a net of 3D shapes.
- 3D Shapes
- Nets For 3D Shapes
- Different views of Solid Shapes
Chapter 10: Decimals
You have already used fractions to represent parts of a whole. In this chapter of the CBSE class 5 maths syllabus, you will learn one more way of representing parts of a whole called decimals. You will also learn how to convert fractions to decimals and decimals to fractions and how to add, subtract, multiply and divide fractions and solve problems on decimals.
- What are Decimals
- Reading and Writing Decimals
- Converting – Fractions to Decimals
- Converting – Decimals to Fractions
- Types of Decimal
- Addition of Decimals
- Subtraction of Decimals
- Multiplication of Decimals
- Division of Decimals
- Simplifying Decimals – Multiple Operations
- Estimation – Rounding off Decimals
Chapter 11: Perimeter and Area
Every 2D figure has a boundary(perimeter) and occupies space(area) in a plane. In this chapter, you will learn how to calculate the perimeter and area of two basic 2D figures – square and rectangle.
Chapter 12: Data Handling
We use data in our daily lives. Your class teacher taking attendance in the morning is data, and the scoreboard showing runs made by batsmen and wickets taken by bowlers are data. In this chapter, you will learn how to organize the data and how we collect these data. You will also learn to represent these data graphically using bar graphs, pie charts, and line graphs.
Chapter 13: Multiplication and Division
In your earlier classes, you learned about multiplication and division. In this chapter, you will learn how to multiply and divide large numbers and how to use these operations to solve problems.
- Multiplication of Numbers
- Problems on Multiplication of Numbers
- Division of Numbers
- Problems on Division of Numbers
Chapter 14: Weight and Volume
You already learned the units to measure weight and volume. In this chapter of the CBSE class 5 maths syllabus, you will learn how to compare objects with different weights and volumes.
Course Structure 2023-24 For CBSE Class 5 Maths
The following is the unit-wise breakup of marks for CBSE Class 5 Maths.
|Weightage of Marks
|Shapes and Spatial Understanding
|Numbers and Operations
Unit-Wise Distribution of Chapters
Unit I (Shapes and Spatial Understanding)
- Chapter 2: Shapes and Angles
- Chapter 8: Mapping
- Chapter 9: 3D Shapes
Unit II (Numbers and Operations)
- Chapter 1: Numbers and Numeration
- Chapter 6: Factors and Multiples
- Chapter 10: Decimals
- Chapter 13: Multiplication and Division
Unit III (Measurement)
- Chapter 3: Measurement
- Chapter 11: Perimeter and Area
- Chapter 14: Weight and Volume
Unit IV (Data Handling)
- Chapter 12: Data Handling
Unit V (Pattern)
- Chapter 5: Symmetry
- Chapter 7: Patterns
Best Maths Reference Books For Class 5 CBSE
If you are looking for the best Maths reference books for Class 5 CBSE, then this list is for you. Here we have listed some of the best Maths books that will help you score high marks in your exams. These books cover the entire CBSE class 5 maths syllabus and are a great resource for students who want to excel in this subject. In this list, we will recommend three of the best math reference books for 5th grade students who are following the CBSE curriculum.
- The first book on our list is “New Composite Mathematics Class 5 – 2023-24” by Dr. R.S Aggarwal. This book is very important book for building a base and learning the concepts of the chapters, providing a lot of problems for practice.
- Another great math reference book for 5th grade students is “NCERT Workbook Class 5 Mathematics” by Oswal Publications. This book is one of the best books for practicing problems in math and understanding concepts.
- The third book on our list is “Frank EMU Books Mental Maths for Class 5 Practice Workbook with Fun Activities Based on NCERT Guidelines” by Nira Saxena of Frank Educational Aids. The books are picture-based which makes them even more interesting. It has activities that can be performed individually and in the classroom, quick quizzes, and oral fun to help you answer questions orally.
Books Prescribed For Class 5 By CBSE
CBSE Maths Syllabus For Class 5 Pdf
The Central Board of Secondary Education (CBSE) is a national-level board of education in India for public and private schools, controlled and managed by the Union Government of India.
In order to help students perform well in their exams, the CBSE has released the Maths Syllabus for Class 5. The syllabus covers all the important topics that will be taught in Class 5.
Based on the CBSE class 5 Maths syllabus, we have created this detailed and beautiful PDF which you can download and refer to anytime. This PDF not only covers the full list of chapters and topics within each chapter, but it also has a list of resources that parents, teachers, and students will find very helpful. So, go ahead and download this CBSE Maths Syllabus For Class 5 PDF
The CBSE 5th Class Maths Syllabus has been designed to provide a strong foundation in the subject and prepare students for higher-level courses.
The syllabus covers a wide range of topics, from numbers, fractions, and decimals to symmetry and 3D shapes.
Overall, the CBSE 5th Class Maths Syllabus provides a well-rounded education in mathematics that will give students the skills they need to succeed in higher-level courses.